Normally the start up time or the boot time of computers will increase considerably as it grows old . This is only because more and more start up programs and services are added automatically whenever you install a new program . If you are facing this problem or wants to improve the boot time by eliminating unwanted start up entries , here is a perfect solution for you .
Autoruns is a handy freeware utility which will give you the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them.
Autostart locations displayed by Autoruns include logon entries, Explorer add-ons, Internet Explorer add-ons including Browser Helper Objects (BHOs), Appinit DLLs, image hijacks, boot execute images, Winlogon notification DLLs, Windows Services and Winsock Layered Service Providers.
Autoruns’ Hide Signed Microsoft Entries option helps you to zoom in on third-party auto-starting images that have been added to your system and it has support for looking at the auto-starting images configured for other accounts configured on a system.
How to use Autoruns
Download Autoruns for Windows v10.04 (605 KB)
The zip file includes Autoruns.exe , Autorunsc ( command-line version of Autoruns ) and a help file
– Simply run Autoruns.exe and it shows you the currently configured auto-start applications as well as the full list of Registry and file system locations available for auto-start configuration.
– On the top you can see options tab .
Click on ” Hide Microsoft and windows entries ” for safety in-order to avoid messing up some important key files .
– You can change the font and text size for your easiness .
( Options –> Fonts )
– Switch tabs to view autostarts from different categories.
– To vie w the details of a selected item , right click and view “Properties ”
– To disable an item , uncheck the corresponding box
– Excellent detailed help file is provided for advanced information .
Please share your views about this tool or similar ones in comments